Double-check your transcript

15 Aug




Seniors, all set to cruise through your last year of high school with an easy schedule?

Hmm, that might not be a good approach. Actually, it is critical that you have your counselor review your transcript to make sure you have completed all the courses you need for college admission. Do not assume your current schedule is okay.

Make an appointment with your school counselor as soon as possible. If you are getting “put off,” have one of your parents make the appointment. Make sure you have an updated copy of your transcript at that appointment, too.

In advance of that meeting, go to the websites of those colleges to which you are interested in applying. Print off the admission requirements. Compare them with your transcript. If you’re seeing something missing, be proactive and get a schedule change.

Stay on top of things this year!

P.S. While I will be posting weekly blogs through your senior year, you can also read through the blogs from earlier years, starting with the fall months, which are chock-full of help.

Last wisdom bits for college frosh and parents

8 Aug

Two quick messages–one for entering college freshmen and one for their parents:

College freshmen:

“A little request … When your mom wants to unpack all of your clothes and make your bed – Let her. When your dad wants to introduce himself to all the people on your floor – Let him. When they want to take pictures of every move you make this weekend – Let them. If they embarrass you or act crazy – Let them. As you start the new chapter of your life, they are also starting the new chapter of theirs. And believe it or not, this is probably more difficult for them than it is for you. So let them treat you like their “baby” one last time.” –From San Diego State University

Parents of college freshmen:

Just a few words of wisdom from a mom (ME!) who saw FOUR children go to college and finish their degrees:

  • Let them go. Yes, it’s hard. Yes, you’ll miss them. Yes, you’ll want them to come home every weekend–or every night! BUT . . . let them go.
  • Let them go. Don’t call or text continually. Just one phone call a week. Just a couple texts.
  • Let them go. Don’t say, “Oh, I’ll miss you sooooo much!” Say, “I’m so proud of you. I know you are going to do great!”

As college orientation workshop presenters emphasize to parents, these kids need to stand on their own. They need to learn life skills. If they keep depending on you for every single thing, they won’t become independent, mature adults.

Sure, you can be a safety net of sorts. For example, if your kid calls and says, “I’m sick,” send him or her to the college’s medical clinic. It will be okay. And you will be SO PROUD that he or she learned how to manage their own healthcare.

You will all be okay. Truly! Blessings for the big day ahead!



A back-to-school must

3 Aug

Your senior year is about to start, and you’re probably all stoked about back-to-school shopping for clothes and school supplies.

As you’re making out your shopping list, add one more thing…

A calendar.

In your senior year you will face more deadlines than you have had for the prior years all put together. A calendar is a must when there are big bucks consequences involved.

You can go one of two ways:

  • A real paper calendar, something that will fit easily into your backpack.
  • A virtual calendar–using your calendar app on your phone/device or something like Google Calendar.

The advantage of the virtual calendar is that you can have it remind you. In any case, though, I would backdate those deadlines, so you give yourself plenty of notice to get the college or scholarship application done. Schoolwork deadlines become all important, too, to keep your grades up during your senior year–colleges want to know that you’re challenging yourself and meeting those challenges.

Plan ahead now…and you’ll cruise through the next year just fine!

Hey there! More help for your senior year is right here–by reading through the blogs, starting with those posted in August, then those in September:

Coming soon:

50 Life Lessons for Grads: How to Save Time, Money, and Heartache — Worthy Publishing by Janet Holm McHenry