The scripture that really bugged me . . .

Years ago a couple verses from the Bible bugged me.

In his first letter to new believers in Thessalonica (present-day Thessaloniki, Greece), then the capital of Roman Macedonia, Paul wrote, “Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you” (1 Thess. 5:17-18).

I had begun prayerwalking and was doing my best to rejoice-pray-give thanks . . . but ALWAYS? Continually? Without ceasing?

How is that possible, Paul?

I went on a several years search of the Bible, focusing mostly on Paul’s letters. And I also read through thirty or more classic works on prayer, scouring biographies, autobiographies, sermons and other works to figure out how those who said they were praying without ceasing got to that point in their lives.

I found they were all different in their discoveries: Brother Lawrence, E. M. Bounds, Charles Spurgeon, Andrew Murray, Teresa of Avila, Madame Guyon, Frank Laubach, and a man simply known as The Pilgrim.

The results of that prayer quest are in my book, PrayerStreaming: Staying in Touch with God All Day Long, and if you’ve ever been bugged by Paul’s pray-continually nudge, I think you’ll find some practical, encouraging help for your walk in prayer in this quick read:

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/PrayerStreaming-Staying-Touch-God-Long/dp/1578568358/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=prayerstreaming&qid=1562609487&s=gateway&sr=8-1

My website: https://www.janetmchenry.com/lookingup/specials (FREE ebook Prayer Helps with each order . . . and a FREE Jane Austen address book, a lovely gift)
I will draw a name (July 10) from those who comment below for a free copy of PrayerStreaming. Blessings!

Janet McHenry is an award-winning speaker and the author of 24 books, including the bestselling PrayerWalk and her newest, The Complete Guide to the Prayers of Jesus. She would LOVE to be considered as the speaker for your next event.

More about Janet: www.janetmchenry.com

#PrayerwalkintheWord #Prayers #bibleverse #PrayerWalk #PrayerStreaming #PrayLikeJesus #PrayersofJesus www.janetmchenry.com #LookingUp #LookUp #pray #justpray #needprayer #praywithoutceasing #PrayerExperiment #prayerworks #answertoprayer @LookingUpFirst @janetmchenry.com

14 Responses to “The scripture that really bugged me . . .

• This has been a VERY tough year for us, for multiple reasons and I too find this verse difficult at times. I do try to remind myself of it when moving forward feels impossible. Thank you, Janet, for always being an encouragement!

• Janet Holm McHenry
    2 weeks ago

This HAS been a tough year, Bonita, for you and your family–one thing after another. But you and your husband keep looking up . . . and you’re both an inspiration to many.

• Debbie Mosier
    2 weeks ago

Praying continually is my power source from God. I don’t want to be unplugged and staying connected throughout the day and night gives me peace- His peace.

• Janet Holm McHenry
      2 weeks ago

Love the metaphor, Debbie. May his light continue to shine through you!

• I agree that this can be a troublesome verse. 2018 was a difficult year for giving thanks in all circumstances. However, I found that I was actually offering prayers more often throughout the day. It brought peace and encouragement to keep moving forward.

• Janet Holm McHenry
      2 weeks ago

I don’t know how those who do not believe make it through times like that, Anita.

• Deborah Wilhelm
    2 weeks ago

It is a challenge to be prayerful at all times, to live and breathe it, for my life to be a constant prayer. For me it means He walks with me and talks with me and tells me I am His own and I am gushing praise, love, and Thanksgiving. Then I end up in the ER and I do good to remember He’s still there, hasn’t left me, and I need to continue to glorify Him even with pain and illness. I fail often, though my desire is sincere.

• Janet Holm McHenry
      2 weeks ago

I hear you, Deborah. I am thankful for his patience with my spiritual ups and downs.

• Impressed with all the studying you do, Janet!

• Janet Holm McHenry
      2 weeks ago

My editor, Liz Heaney, put me through the paces on that project.

• I understand this concept and sometimes apply it, but at the same time, it remains an enigma to me.

• Janet Holm McHenry
      2 weeks ago

Yes, Karen. It’s not as though our lives stop, right? Some see PWC as a daily invitation to God to be our companion on our day’s journey.

• Janet, this verse was one that bugged me for a long time too, especially the part about giving thanks in all circumstances. At a time I was studying on Phil. 4:6, I realized I thought giving thanks was telling God that I like the circumstances. When I shifted my understanding of giving thanks to emphasize expressing my trust, I was freed to be completely honest with God because I can say what I feel about the circumstances and then trust Him in the midst of it. The honesty opens up the conversational connection too.

• Janet Holm McHenry
      2 weeks ago

Absolutely. His ways are mysterious but produce a work in us we could not otherwise. So, we CAN give thanks in all things.